Tuesday, December 15, 2009

18.6 miles and a metoer shower

Sunday night I made my longest run to date. 18.6 miles, which is two laps around the Mojave airport. The sun went down about 2/3 of the way the way through the first lap. The second lap was in the pitch black of a dark clear night. The sky was clear and I was treated to a private meteor shower. My legs look like I ran though a barbed wire fence from the bits that are off a trail and though the open desert. I consumed one and a half liters of water, one ounce of honey, and my entire collection of Steve Earle and most of my Romi Mayes. It was exactly three hours on the move. I was tired when I got done but thanks to some serious post run streatching, I'm not as sore today as I was after the 16 mile run.

Also last week, I made my fasted pace on the 9.2 mile course at 8.3 min per mile. Still not fast, but getting there slowly but surely!

Also. During Sunday's run, I got to thinking about how when you run far, you take alot of steps. Sure enough 18.6 miles is something like 33,000 steps!

One foot in front of the other kiddos.

2 comments:

  1. Woohooo! Nicely done. You are almost there.
    The meteor shower was amazing later that evening too. Now just need some more donations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach. That is awesome! Didn't know that you were training for a marathon! I'm training for a 1/2... feeling a little weary from the training right now. Way to go on 18.6 miles... so much further than I can imagine running! I have 13 miles on the schedule for Saturday... I think I can, I think I can. :)

    ReplyDelete